[Yum] Repoquery silently ignores unsatisfied dependencies

Satoshi Yagi marseille07 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 4 02:40:06 UTC 2015

I hope this is the right forum for repoquery, as I believe it is part of yum-utils package.

I have an RPM in my repo that requires a non-existent package (i.e. broken dependency chain).

$ repoquery --requires mypackage
nonexistent_package > 3.0
this_package_exists > 1.0

Yum correctly identifies this as a problem upon installation:

$ sudo yum -y install mypackage
# output omitted for brevity
--> Missing Dependency: nonexistent_package > 3.0 is needed by package mypackage-0.0.1-2.el5.x86_64 (reponame)
Error: Missing Dependency: nonexistent_package > 3.0 is needed by package mypackage-0.0.1-2.el5.x86_64 (reponame)

Yum deplist works as far as detecting the issue:

$ yum deplist mypackage
Finding dependencies:
package: mypackage.x86_64 0.0.1-2.el5
dependency: nonexistent_package > 3.0
  Unsatisfied dependency
dependency: this_package_exists > 1.0
  provider: this_package_exists.x86_64 1.4.6-480.el5

However, when I try resolving on repoquery, it doesn't say anything about the nonexistent_package, and exit code is 0.

$ repoquery --requires --resolve mypackage
this_package_exists-0:1.1.0-394.el5.x86_64
$ echo $?
0

Searching for the provider of nonexistent_package comes up empty, obviously:

$ repoquery --whatprovides nonexistent_package
$

Is there a way to have repoquery report on resolution failures? The current behavior is problematic because there is no way to tell when resolution failed; repoquery silently ignores capabilities that didn't resolve and only return what it could resolve, which means the result isn't trustworthy.

Thanks,

Satoshi