[Yum] Weird yum/kernel problem

Bob McKay rimsnucse at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 10:01:59 UTC 2015

Hi Brian, and thank you for your comments - my apologies for being so long replying, I seem to have set up the mailing list wrong so that I’m not receiving responses. Not sure how to fix it, so I guess I’ll just need to check the archives regularly.

We bought the soft controller for cost reasons: we’re a small university lab, and we just couln’t afford hardware RAID controllers at the time. That argument applies all the more strongly now, as for various reasons the system only needs to survive another year or so. So unfortunately we’re stuck with a software controller. I could just skip upgrading the system for that time, but we’re receiving a huge number of attempted break-ins every day, so I prefer not to take security risks.

Thank you for the ubuntu link. I’ve gone through it carefully, but I coulnd’t find anything useful there (I don’t want to use dkms directly, because failures under dims would be even harder to fix - at least if there is a failure building the module manually, I get to see it at the time, which means I can reset the kernel default to the preceding kernel, reboot, remove the latest kernel and rebuild again - and I can do this remotely (the system is in a lab a fair way form my home/work). Relying on DKMS in this circumstance, where builds fail on a regular basis, sounds a bit too dangerous.

    Thanks and Best Wishes
    Bob

Bob,
Some questions & recommendations:
Why not use a supported RAID controller for a production server?

Have you tried using DKMS?  I found a guide for Ubuntu and a lot of what it says applies to Fedora:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RocketRaid

If I were the sysadmin of your box and it needed to be online as much as possible, I would use a LSI RAID controller.  There are others out there which work, but I’m most familiar with LSI.  Many vendors integrate their RAID controllers into their own RAID cards (Dell PERC, for example).  I would most definitely stay away from RAID controllers where the driver is not integrated into the mainstream kernel.

Just my 2 cents.

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                             |       |
       Research Triangle Park, NC         . | | | . | | | .