[Yum] yum-updates.d new features?

James Antill james-yum at and.org
Mon Sep 16 20:11:46 UTC 2013

Mikhail Emelchenkov <iam at soaw.com> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I realized that yum-updatesd lacks of feature to send info about only newly updated packages. What I mean: currently, yum-updatesd just mails me every day a full list of packages which can be updated. This list of packages are the same every day, or may be differs from yesterday's one due to newly updated packages.

 Yeh, this is a commonly requested feature. But I don't see the point
in limiting it to updatesd, esp. with the new yum-cron.

> What approach I want to have: add a config option to inform about only newly updated packages.
>
> How to accomplish that:
> 1. Use a database (i.e., flat-file DB like yum uses itself) to store info about previous yum-updatesd run. (preferred)
> or

 Yeh, this is the obvious fix. Have something like "yum history" for
for each repo. so we can answer questions like "when did I first see
package XYZ from repo FOO", which would directly solve a bunch of
problems.
 If done well we can also merge some obsoletes and exclude logic into
that "cache" as well.

 One problem is that there's currently no single point where it'd be
obvious to run this kind of time consuming logic, so we'd have to tie
it to primary download and the user would have to suck up the time
it'd take ... or rely on something running in yum-cron/etc.

James Antill -- james at and.org