[Yum] new packages not showing up

Alexander Gray II grayaii at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 00:04:23 UTC 2013

I have 4 machines.  When I upload a new rpm my repo, only 1 out of the 4
machines shows the new package is there.  The other 3 do not.  The only
difference that I see is that the 3 machine that do not find the new
package the yum version is 3.4.3.  The one that works is 3.2.29.

Here's what I'm doing.  I'm not messing with /etc/yum.repos.d.  I did not
put anything there.

All the /etc/yum.conf files on all 4 machines are identical:
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
keepcache=0
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1
plugins=1
installonly_limit=3
releasever=latest

OK. Here at the steps to reproduce:
I manually wipe out my /var/cache/yum files, just to start fresh.
I upload an new version my rpm from my local machine (i am using Nexus Yum
repo, so the server automatically calls createrepo).
On the 4 machines in question I run the following command (notice I'm using
--config and pointing it a file that contains my repo):

yum --config=/var/build/repos.conf --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=my-yum-repo
list foo-278-1

All 4 machines find it. yay!

Now repeat the process.  Unfortunately only 1 machine (yum version 3.2.29)
says there is a new version of my package.

It would seem that the 3 machines that have 3.4.3 is cache'ing when it's
not supposed to.

Just for completeness, here is the file that I'm pointing yum to via
--config:
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
keepcache=1
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1
plugins=1
installonly_limit=3
releasever=latest

[my-yum-repo]
name=InIn dev amzn x86_64
baseurl=[my url]
priority=5
enabled=0
gpgcheck=0
type=rpm-md
metadata_expire=0
http_caching=none

Why does this work with 3.2.29, but not with 3.4.3?

Of course, if I do yum clean all and enabling my repo it will work, but I
don't 'want to run this (especially since I'm not root) every time I want
to check if there is a new version of a package.  It works fine on 1
machine, so it should work fine on another.

Any ideas or suggestions on why the 3 servers may be caching when they
shouldn't be?

Thanks!

Alex