[Yum] Centos 6, yum-updatesd and syslog

Ian Mortimer i.mortimer at uq.edu.au
Wed Jul 31 01:44:40 UTC 2013

Hi

For automatic updates on CentOS 6, I'm using yum-updatesd rebuilt
from the Fedora 15 src rpm which works fine except I haven't
found a way to stop syslog messages to the console for
every update.

With these settings in yum-updatesd.conf:

emit_via = email
dbus_listener = no

the email is sent but there are also messages to the console like:

Message from syslogd at host at Jul 24 13:32:19 ...
  �<14>yum[21726]: Updated: thunderbird.x86_64 17.0.7-1.el6.centos

(rsyslog.conf is unmodified CentOS default.)

Does anyone know where these messages are coming from and how to
stop them being sent to the console?

Thanks
--
Ian