[Yum] Showing rpm messages before rpm completes

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Thu Dec 26 16:43:00 UTC 2013

On 12/26/2013 08:40 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 08:35:34 -0700
> Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12/24/2013 11:46 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:

>>> Have you truied
>>> -v, --verbose         verbose operation ?
>>>

>> No, but that's not what I want. I don't want more information.
>>
>> I simply want to see the output from the rpm command as it happens
>> (in real time), rather than all at once at the end of running it.
>> yum appears to be buffering that output, and I'd like to turn off
>> the buffering.
>>

> Maybe: --rpmverbosity=[debug level name]
>                          debugging output level for rpm ?

Now that looks like a handy option. The "info" level (default) is fine
for my needs though.

Let me try to explain a little better what's going on. For example, my
clamav package runs "freshclam" during the %post section, in order to
update virus definitions. The freshclam program outputs a progress bar,
so you can see how the download is going as it progresses. This works
fine when using the rpm command.

When the package is installed with yum though, yum shows no progess bar
during the download. The %post section appears to run silently until the
very end, at which time it duly spits out all of the output created by
the %post script(s). My objective here is to have yum show these
messages as they happen, same as what occurs when running rpm.

Thanks for your suggestions. Perhaps I should ask on the development
list. My hunch is that this is probably something related to how the
perl code is executing the rpm command.

--
-Eric 'shubes'