[Yum] what are the acceptable layouts of a yum repository?

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Thu Dec 5 08:40:56 UTC 2013

On 4. 12. 2013 at 14:13:14, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>    one last question for the day. i was experimenting with
> creating a local yum repository on fedora 19 following along
> here:
>
> http://www.unixmen.com/setup-local-yum-repository-in-fedora-19/
>
> and it seemed to work fine, but the resulting structure was
> simpler than i was used to -- the end result was (in my case)
> a new repository under /usr/local/repo in which the rpm files
> were right at the top level, along with the repodata/ directory.
>
>    from my previous usage of fedora repos, i'm used to having a
> top-level repodata/ directory, along with a Packages/ directory,
> which is further broken down based on the first letter of the
> package name.
>
>    so what are the valid variations that will be (automatically?)
> recognized by yum? i'm guessing the top-level repodata/ directory
> is mandatory but, beyond that, what kind of variations can be
> used to store the rpm files? thanks.

I'm not an expert so I might be wrong on this but I've seen a lot of different
repo layouts so my assumption based on observation is that createrepo
recursively scans the directory you want and the just creates repodata subdir
with metadata containing information about all the relevant content (rpm
packages) in the scanned directory.

HTH
Jan