[Yum] Merge-able yum repos.d configuration?

James Antill james-yum at and.org
Fri Aug 23 20:22:30 UTC 2013

Brian Mathis <brian.mathis+yum at betteradmin.com> writes:

> Has it been considered, or is there a way, to merge multiple files into a
> single functional repository configuration?  The idea is to be able to
> modify a repo configuration without editing the original file.  This would
> be very helpful for plugins, such as priorities, where editing all repo
> files can be tedious or not desired.  It would also improve usage on
> installations using configuration management tools.
>
> Example:
>     /etc/yum.repos.d/example.repo:
>         [example]
>         name = Example Repo
>         baseurl = http://127.0.0.1/repo/example
>

>         enabled = 1
>
>     /etc/yum.repos.d/merge.repo:
>         [example]
>         priority = 20
>
>         [base-*]
>         priority = 10
>
>         [*]
>         priority = 50
>
> Yum would read both files and merge the config where the repo names match,
> then act as if they are in the same file.  Wildcards could also be
> supported to set defaults, for example.  Precedence could be handled by
> simple rules, such as where the files are read in alphabetical order and
> the last found setting is applied.
>
> Has this been considered?  Is it possible to achieve this now?

 You could do it from a plugin, we recently fixed it upstream for
yum-cron ... so that yum-cron can read yum-cron.conf/base and it
overrides the values in yum.conf/main.

 yum doesn't support that in core though.

 Having "wildcards" in the ini section headers could only be done if
you put the special .repo files to be used by the plugin somewhere
that yum doesn't see them (or yum would fail due to bad repo ids).

James Antill -- james at and.org