[Yum] Yum for Windows?

Ioan Vlad i.vlad at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 22 15:03:11 UTC 2012

Hello Yum-ers,

I need a tool with Yum's functionality that works under MS Windows. Yum is in Python, which is cross-platform, is there any chance it works on Windows? The basic functionality of yum (keeping track of what packages are installed, and downloading appropriate versions from the repositories) is not Unix-specific. RPM packages are just archives with files and directories, again nothing Unix-specific. So that's why I would expect to be able to start Python under Windows, import yum, then run yum commands. However, I did not find anything on this topic in the documentation. If yum does not have cross-platform capabilities, can you please recommend a tool that does?

Thank you,
I. Vlad