[Yum] Updating package in YUM local repository

Rich Niemi rich.niemi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 20:54:53 UTC 2012

My understanding of the release field of the rpm is for showing updates to
the rpm itself; not the software
that the rpm is installing.

1.1.0-1
1.1.0-2 <<< fix in rpm itself
1.1.1-1 <<< fixes in software installed by the rpm

So the rpm release would rev to a new number if you fixed a bug in the rpm
like in one of the scriptlets.
Moving to a new "major" version would set the release filed back to 1 i.e.
1.2.0-1