[Yum] Yum 3.4.3 and SLES11 SP1

James Antill james-yum at and.org
Thu Feb 9 16:15:58 UTC 2012

Nicole Hähnel <ml at nicole-haehnel.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am using yum 3.4.3 on our sles11 sp1 servers for updates.
> Every time I have to install a new kernel, I get this error:
>
> ERROR with transaction check vs depsolve:
> kernel-default-base_x86_64 is needed by (installed)
> kernel-default-2.6.32.49-0.3.1.x86_64
>
> Is this a yum problem? Or can I solve this?
[...]
> Running Transaction Check
> ERROR with transaction check vs depsolve:
> kernel-default-base_x86_64 is needed by (installed)
> kernel-default-2.6.32.49-0.3.1.x86_64
> Please report this error in http://yum.baseurl.org/report
> ** Found 281 pre-existing rpmdb problem(s), 'yum check' output follows:
> ConsoleKit-0.2.10-64.65.1.x86_64 is a duplicate with
> ConsoleKit-0.2.10-64.13.6.x86_64

 This very likely means that something "very bad" happened, likely a
large transaction aborted ... you can try using "yum history redo" or
yum-complete-transaction to see if you can fix the problem. Otherwise
you'll have to do it by hand, by running "yum check" and then
removing/install things.
 When you have no pre-existing problems, yum should work fine
(although I will note that I'd generally not recommend using a
non-system package manager, without a good reason).

James Antill -- james at and.org