[Yum] yumdb: utility of from_repo_revision and from_repo_timestamp

James Antill james-yum at and.org
Mon May 2 17:00:16 UTC 2011

Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> writes:

> On 29 April 2011 17:14, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
>> So, my question is: what is the utility of those files? I see that
>> they get displayed with the "yumdb info" command. Anything else?
>> If I were to set the value 0 in all of those
>> from_repo_revision/from_repo_timestamp files, meaning that they
>> wouldn't change from build-to-build, would there be any obvious side
>> effects?
>
> I searched the yum and yum-utils source code, looks like these are
> recorded but not acted upon, so (at least at the moment) should be
> safe to live without. I'm going to remove them in OLPC builds and keep
> an eye out for breakage.
>
> If these files are truly optional in the yumdb design, it would be
> nice to have a yum.conf option to not install them.

 Yeh, nothing uses them now ... but I can't speak for any code in the
future.
 If you want to "get rid" of them, then running:

yumdb set from_repo_revision olpc-2011-05-02
yumdb set from_repo_revision 1304355547

...should create a single fine hardlinked to all the packages, which
will satisfy all the size problems you have (and will be functional if
any code is written to use that data).

James Antill -- james at and.org