[Yum] yumdb: utility of from_repo_revision and from_repo_timestamp

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sun May 1 19:41:54 UTC 2011

On 29 April 2011 17:14, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> So, my question is: what is the utility of those files? I see that
> they get displayed with the "yumdb info" command. Anything else?
> If I were to set the value 0 in all of those
> from_repo_revision/from_repo_timestamp files, meaning that they
> wouldn't change from build-to-build, would there be any obvious side
> effects?

I searched the yum and yum-utils source code, looks like these are
recorded but not acted upon, so (at least at the moment) should be
safe to live without. I'm going to remove them in OLPC builds and keep
an eye out for breakage.

If these files are truly optional in the yumdb design, it would be
nice to have a yum.conf option to not install them.

Daniel