[Yum] yum-updatesd: autoinstall updates only from certain repos

yum at schlomo.schapiro.org yum at schlomo.schapiro.org
Tue Mar 29 15:54:45 UTC 2011

Hi,

we have a similar requirement, we need to update only packages from yum
repositories while ignoring packages in RHN repositories.

In our case it is about an environment where some repos come from RHN
Satellite and some are plain yum repos and different people are in
charge of the RHN world and of the yum world.

Our solution was to write a script that would use repoquery to find out
which packages to update and then use yum to update these named
packages. I believe that it would be simple to adapt this script to
enable only certain repos for repoquery.

The relevant part of this script looks like this:

UPDATES=( $(repoquery -a --pkgnarrow=updates --queryformat "%{name}") )
if [ "${#UPDATES[@]}" -gt 0 ] ; then
	exec yum upgrade "${UPDATES[@]}"
else
	echo 1>&2 "no YUM upgrades available"
fi

For our use case the trick is that repoquery needs the --plugins option
to "see" the RHN repos. You would use --enablerepo=myrepo1,myrepo2 and
--disablerepo=* to narrow down the repositories to the ones you want to
pull updates from.

This script snippet is part of a yum wrapper that we wrote to wrap such
details.

Kind Regards,
Schlomo