[Yum] RPM/YUM book and suggestions for the yum(8) man page

James Antill james-yum at and.org
Mon Jul 11 15:02:26 UTC 2011

Andrew Ford <A.Ford at ford-mason.co.uk> writes:

> On 10/07/11 20:24, Andrew Ford wrote:
>> As I posted back in April, I am writing a book for O'Reilly on RPM
>> and YUM.  The timescales have slipped somewhat due to the demands of
>> the day job, but it is starting to come together.  Apologies to
>> those who volunteered to review the book - I will have something to
>> look at soon now.
>>
>> While trying to get my head around everything to do with yum I
>> realized that the man page is rather indigestible.  It lists about
>> 30 different commands in no discernible order.  One could organize
>> the commands into three categories: (1) reporting (on packages,
>> groups, repos and dependencies), (2) package installation, upgrade
>> and removal, and (3) housekeeping and miscellaneous.  I would be
>> happy to modify the man page if people would like to get an idea of
>> how it might be restructured.

 That sounds pretty good, feel free to post any patches to the -devel
mailing list :).

> I have put a formatted PDF of my modified version of the man page up at
>
>     https://portal.ford-mason.co.uk/yum.8-new.pdf
>
> All I have done is added sections to group the commands and moved text
> around.
>
> Comments would be welcome.

 The only thing is that the above is against a slightly older man page
that the latest release (or HEAD). You probably want to do the change
against the one in git, and then do git send-email on it.

 Also it might be useful to still have an index at the top, just
listing each command one per. line.

 We also accept patches for the yum.conf man page :).

James Antill -- james at and.org