[Yum] Correct way to specify priority or preference for packages?

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Tue Sep 7 21:40:24 UTC 2010

I am trying out Fedora 13 (on a 64-bit AMD system with 4GB RAM, if it
matters).  I have installed OpenOffice.org packages from Fedora's repo
but I'd like to try the repo from Go-OO instead.

I looked into yum-plugin-priorities (which is available in the Fedora 13
repos) and came across
http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities so I could read
some documentation on how to use this plugin.  I thought it would be
appropriate to give higher priority to the Go-OO repo than the Fedora
repos and I'd be one step closer to always getting OpenOffice.org from
Go-OO instead of Fedora.

Towards the bottom of that webpage I read a quote from Seth Vidal:

>> ... lead in, ending: (same way most people end up setting up
>>'yum-priorities' anyway)
>
> Gosh, I hope people do not set up yum priorities. There are so many
> things about priorities that make me cringe all over. It could just
> be that it reminds me of apt 'pinning' and that makes me want to
> hurl.

I would like to know what the proper way to specify that I'd prefer to
get OpenOffice.org (and its related packages for language packs,
integration, etc.) from the Go-OO repo instead of Fedora's repo.

Is "exclude=openoffice.org*" in the Fedora repo files the preferred way
to say I don't want OpenOffice.org from these repos (thus implying that
I can get OpenOffice.org from Go-OO as long as I keep the Go-OO repos
enabled)?

Or is there something I'm missing in this?

Thanks for your help.