[Yum] yum --downloadonly

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 22:07:25 UTC 2010

Typically I use 'yum --downloadonly install foopackage' to download a
rpm to my master server and then push it out to a bunch of clustered
nodes via automated installation scripts.

Unfortunately, if foopackage is already installed this fails:

yum --downloadonly install perl.x86_64
[snip]
Package 4:perl-5.8.8-32.el5_5.1.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do

Is there a workaround in such a situation to still be able to obtain
the rpm? The silly solution would be to uninstall, then downloadonly
and then reinstall.
I'm assuming yum is not configured to store every rpm by default.

--
Rahul