[Yum] Using older confi files after yum update

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 10 20:00:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 12:47 -0700, Jake Adams wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > Is it yum's config file? OR just a config file of some kind from some
> > pkg?
> >
> > If it is the former - then I'm surprised.
> >
> > If it is the latter then are you sure it is marked as a config file in
> > the rpm specfile for the owning pkg?
> >
> > If not then you can mark the file %config(noreplace) which should keep
> > the file from being changed.
> >
> > -sv
> >

> Thanks for the reply.  I wasn't very clear at first- I've modified a
> file that is provided by a package (/etc/X11/xinit/Xsession, provided by
> xorg-x11-xinit for fedora 13 for the curious) but when I update that
> package it copies over a new version of the file and removes my edits.
> I'm not looking to build my own RPM (which is my understanding of where
> the %config(noreplace) comes into play) but just somehow mark this file
> so it isn't changed.  I can blacklist the whole package, but I'm looking
> for something a little more granular.  I understand if it's something
> yum isn't capable of, I just haven't been able to find anything that
> says one way or the other.

okay I just looked in the pkg

%{_sysconfdir}/X11/xinit/Xsession

is not marked as a config file - so the file is going to be overwritten
each time.

The modification you're making to Xsession -  you may want to look at
trying to do the same thing in /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients.d - since those
locations are looked at too.

but to be clear - this is specifically a packaging issue - not one that
yum can address itself.

Having said that you can do:

1. have your cfg mgmt system fix this after each update
2. have something like yum post-transaction-actions replace the file
after update

-sv