[Yum] "yum -yq --security check-update" spouting lots of text?

James Antill james-yum at and.org
Wed Nov 10 13:54:26 UTC 2010

David Burns <tdbtdb at gmail.com> writes:

> I thought -q meant 'no output'. Recently yum -q has started spewing the
> following garbage, can anyone tell me why?

[...]
> # yum -yq --security check-update 2>/dev/null

 Use:

# yum -y -q --security check-update 2>/dev/null

...and it'll work.

 Long story:

 The problem is that options can only be parsed after initial
configuration has been setup, but some options have to be parsed
before initial configuration (Eg. -c --noplugins --installroot
etc. ... and -q).

 The way we work around this is to have a custom option parser for
just those special options. However that special option parser doesn't
understand that "-yq" means "-y -q" (or -yc blah.conf etc.).

James Antill -- james at fedoraproject.org
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/releases
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.29
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumMultipleMachineCaching