[Yum] Feature request ... or How to.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon May 3 13:03:11 UTC 2010

Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 3 May 2010 13:32, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Caution noted Les.
>>> Can't see that I can do much about that.
>>> Other than install one package at a time... which
>>> I was trying to avoid on the time consumption front!
>> What I normally do is install the yum configs for 3rd party repos but leave
>> them disabled, then make sure all the packages from the base repos are
>> installed and updated before doing 'yum --enablerepo=reponame install
>> package1 package2' to get things from each 3rd party repo.  There may be
>> better way to automate it with priorities or pinning but  that has generally
>> worked.
>>

> Does yum 'halt' on recognising a conflict in these situations?
> Or just install the update (e.g. of a dependency installed from a 3rd party
> which overwrites a base repo of the same name) regardless. I can't see
> any logic for it
> not accepting such an update? Other than a way of saying 'hey yum,
> repo X has higher priority than repo Y' which I don't think exists?

Yum's idea of a conflict may not be the same as yours.   Yum will just take the
highest rev of any package you request or is a dependency of one you request.
3rd party repos are always designed to co-exist with the base distribution so if
only one is enabled at a time you rarely have conflicts.  There is still the
risk of a dependency of a package causing a conflict with dependencies of a
package you want from a different repo - but I don't see a good way to automate
your way around that because you probably don't know ahead of time what library
versions you need and the revision numbering will not be coordinated.  In fact,
things you've installed from one third party repo may later appear in another or
even the base distro with incompatible build options and cause trouble in
updates regardless of how you try to handle it.  It would really be nicer if yum
had a mechanism to only update from the repo where a package originated.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com