[Yum] Corrupted yum via kill -9

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 02:10:25 UTC 2010

I impatiently "kill -9"'d a yum process, and now this happens:

# yum
rpmdb: Thread/process 29876/3086329536 failed: Thread died in Berkeley
DB library
error: db4 error(-30974) from dbenv->failchk: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal
error, run database recovery
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30974)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/config.py:884:
DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of
Python 2.6
  raise Errors.YumBaseError("Error: " + e.message)
CRITICAL:yum.main:

Error: rpmdb open failed

OK, bad move on my part, but how do I fix it?