[Yum] Yum priorities plugin

James Antill james-yum at and.org
Fri Jun 18 19:12:47 UTC 2010

Stefano Biagiotti <stefano.biagiotti at vola.it> writes:

> On a PC with Fedora 13 x86_64 I have several active repositories with
> different priorities.
>  [fedora]
>       priority=1
>  [updates]
>       priority=1
>  [adobe-linux-i386]
>       priority=20
>
> When I do:
>  # LANG=en_US.utf8 yum install libstdc++.so.6
>  Loaded plugins: presto, priorities, refresh-packagekit
[...]
> Yum wants to install AdobeReader_sve because it provides libstdc++.so.6
> as reported here [1] too.
>
> Shouldn't the priorities yum plugin avoid to install AdobeReader_sve,
> and go with the classic libstdc++ package in the [fedora] or [updates]
> repository?

 Priorities only works on package names. So if the adobe
repo. provided "foo" and fedora provided "foo" then when yum picked
"foo" it'd get it from fedora, always.
 The problem you have is that yum thinks "AdobeReader_sve" is a better
package than "libstdc++" and there's only one place to get that
package from.

 If you provide full debug info. "yum -d9 install libstdc++.so.6" we
can take a look at why it thinks it's better ... but I have an idea,
and I doubt we can "fix" it.
 If you can't just "install libstdc++" or Adobe don't fix their
packages, you could always start an RFE for filtering provides
(ie. So you could say "don't allow libstdc++* to be provided from the
adobe repo.) ... but I'm not sure how hard that'll be atm.

James Antill -- james at and.org