[Yum] Issue with python upgradation

nikunj badjatya nikunjbadjatya at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 12:23:59 UTC 2010

Hi,
I am currently using centos5.4, python version bundled was 2.4 .
I upgraded my python to 2.6, which is installed in /opt directory.
Now, when i run "$ yum list " or any other yum command it says:

*"There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

   No module named yum

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.6.5 (r265:79063, Jun 11 2010, 11:21:54)
[GCC 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-46)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
  http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq*

"

How to rectify this error?