[Yum] RFE : adding size information to repomd.xml

Satish Eerpini eerpini at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 08:00:23 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

we were looking at a particular scenario when yum-presto plugin is
installed. If the number of package updates (or the size of the
package updates) during a particular update is low, it so happens that
the prestodelta metadata is much higher in size than the actual
package updates.
I tried to introduce a checkpoint in the presto code, so that the size
of the metadata and the size of the actual package updates to be
downloaded are compared, and in case the prestodelta metadata is
larger in size, presto is skipped and normal package update happens.
Being a novice at this myself, I referred the scenario to the presto
people and I was told that currently the size of the prestodelta
metadata cannot be known before downloading it. And to be able to know
the delta download size, the repomd.xml needs to store the size
information also.
Please let me know what are the possibilities.

Cheers
Satish
--
http://tuxitter.blogspot.com