[Yum] another question about installing version specific rpms using yum

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plcomputers.net
Thu Dec 9 23:25:37 UTC 2010

Edward Bailey wrote:
> We are thinking about that approach. We have anywhere from 3-10 releases
> per service pack so the process could get unwieldy. I think we are going
> to try this out tomorrow.

Separate "release" repository from all other repos so you can "inform"
all yum clients when you add or delete some of the repos. Once you
change repo structure just issue updated "release" rpm and once that rpm
is installed yum clients will be able to see new repositories.

That way, you can change complete repo structure except for release repo
itself any time you want.

Better yet, you could issue updated release rpms with priority
repositories built-in and in doing so avoid complicated yum commands.
Simple "yum update" (executed two times consecutively) with properly set
release rpm (repo file) and installed yum-priorities plugin would do the
trick.

Ljubomir