[Yum] yum and indirect downgrades

James Antill james-yum at and.org
Fri Aug 20 13:32:18 UTC 2010

yum at schlomo.schapiro.org writes:

> Hi,
>
> we are trying to use RPM and YUM to maintain our own software and
> configuration, putting *all* files delivers to a server into RPMs...
>
> We found a problem with indirect downgrades where a package that is
> beeing updates requires an older package.
[...]
> The problem we have is that yum seems to realize that it needs to
> downgrade the search-server package in order to be able to upgrade the
> is24-config-devsol02 package but it only prints out the information and
> does not apply the ovious (downgrading search-server).

 This is intentional ... we only do automatic installs or upgrades,
not downgrades or removals.

 Of course you can do it by hand, and with the latest yum you can use
the new "distro-sync" command (but that will only downgrade if the
latest version available is older than what you have).

[...]
> Do you have an idea how to solve this problem? We would like to pin the
> releases of search-server in is24-config-devsol02 and be able to take
> the release up and down with always running yum upgrade and an updated
> is24-config-devsol02 package.

 If you want to force the version of a package to not change, you can
use the versionlock plugin.

 In general I'd say "don't do what you are doing, find some other way"
but then I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do and why.

James Antill -- james at fedoraproject.org
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/releases
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.28
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumMultipleMachineCaching