[Yum] Feedback request: Possible patch for fastestmirror plugin

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan sharuzzaman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 12:11:20 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I have a wish, but I'm not sure if it was already in Yum.

In my office network, HTTP is always allowed, but FTP was blocked.

When I use fastestmirror plugin, there will be ftp mirror included, and it
cause long delay when determining the fastest mirror for this site, because
the connection is blocked, and have to wait until it timeout.

I would like to have a setting in Yum that I can say

exclude_protocol="ftp"

or

include_protocol="http"

where fastestmirror plugin will only try to determine the fastest mirror
based on the protocol that was served.

I'm not a programmer, so I cannot contribute my code. But I really wish
someone out there can implement the feature.

Thanks.

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Luke Macken <lmacken at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-04-24 at 11:50 +0200, Kris Ven wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > A while ago, I wrote a patch for the Yum fastestmirror plugin. It
> > further builds upon the "exclude" functionality offered by the plugin.
> > However, instead of blacklisting certain hosts in the mirror list, my
> > patch allows to whitelist specific hosts by listing them in a new
> > "include_only" setting in the config file. Another improvement over the
> > original plugin is that it allows to use regular expressions in both the
> > "exclude" and "include_only" settings for more powerful filtering.
> >
> > For example, by specifying "include_only=\.de$, \.fr$, \.ie$" in the
> > fastestmirror.conf file, only mirrors that end in the specified TLDs are
> > considered for downloading. If no mirrors match the given search string
> > in the include_only setting, then all mirrors are used. If the
> > "include_only" setting is not used (i.e., the setting is outcommented in
> > the config file), it defaults to the original behavior by processing the
> > "exclude" setting.
> >
> > I developed this patch since I find it convenient to make use of a few
> > selected mirrors that are known to perform well. This patch avoids
> > having to blacklist a large number of mirrors. I included a diff against
> > the current git repository in attachment.
> >
> > I have been using this patch for personal use for a while. However, I
> > would like to donate this patch to the community if it may be of
> > interest for other users as well.
> >
> > Any questions or comments with respect to this patch?
>
> Hi Kris,
>
> This patch makes sense and seems to nicely complement our 'exclude'
> option.  I tested it locally and it works as expected, so I went ahead
> and applied your patch upstream.
>
> Thanks!
>
> luke

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan