[Yum] Seg fault / memory error with yum 3.2 on redhat 5.5

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 16 18:16:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Rob Moser wrote:

> On 04/16/2010 10:50 AM, Seth Vidal wrote:
>
>>> prelink: /usr/bin/gnome-about-me: Could not parse
>>> `/usr/bin/gnome-about-me: error while loading shared libraries:
>>> libasound.so.2: failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot
>>> allocate memory'
>>
>> I wonder if things could have gone sideways in an odd way during a
>> prelink...
>>
>> maybe consider doing a prelink --undo --all
>
> Gave that a try, but it doesn't seem to have affected the errors in yum
> or the messages coming from rpm -Va.
>
>>> prelink: /usr/bin/gnome-about-me: Could not parse
>>> `/usr/bin/gnome-about-me: error while loading shared libraries:
>>> libasound.so.2: failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot
>>> allocate memory'
>>> prelink: /usr/bin/gnome-about-me: at least one of file's dependencies
>>> has changed since prelinking
>>
>> It looks like you have a lot of perl damage here.
>>
>> Have you been installing perl modules using CPAN and not using rpms?
>
> Personally?  no.  But I'd bet money that one of the other admins has.
> Do you think the perl changes likely to be effecting yum in any way?

Not yum, no - but given the other output I'm betting right now you have
someone who has untarred some other binaries or did a 'make; make install'
on a few binaries instead of using an rpm.

Look back  through your root history logs - I bet you'll find the culprit.

but at this point you're going to have to do some piecemeal reinstalls of
pkgs until something fixes it up.