[Yum] typeout/line width: 79/80 chars

Paul Franklin pf.rhlists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 05:22:18 UTC 2009

On 9/17/09, James Antill <james-yum at and.org> wrote:
>  But I suggest applying the patch, which shortens it to 79.

Thanks to your (very helpful! thank you!!) pointer I edited
.../urlgrabber/progress.py as you directed, making the three
changes (to my python-urlgrabber-3.0.0-15.fc11.noarch one).

I then ran a "yum update" (using yum-3.2.23-3.fc11.noarch)
in my emacs as usual and all of the lines which appeared to
me to be "wrapped" in previous trials came out fine now!

I am pleased to report that it seems to have done the trick!

All lines were 79 characters long (or shorter), even with
any trailing spaces, both during their "active" stage and
their passive/results/final stage.  (I am ignoring any long
lines with super-long package names, clearly not relevant.)

I can't speak to whether such a change is a desirable thing
to do.  That is entirely up to people like you.

But if I might make a suggestion: if it turns out you don't
feel it's desirable, don't feel like investigating emacs, or
whatever, perhaps it might be (somehow) possible to make the
ability to override that built-in "80" be easy?  If such a
thing is possible, that would allow people like me (me only,
in all the world?) to get the old-fashioned-yum behavior.

I'm afraid I don't know Python and so can't make any serious
suggestions but perhaps it can somehow accept arguments from
somewhere?  An environmental variable (YUM_LINE_WIDTH=79)?
A personal yum-settings file (~/.yum.conf) with something?

At any rate, thank you again for taking the time and trouble
to both maintain yum and even to listen (patiently!) to such
crazy loons (cough, cough) as might occasionally pop up, and
their never-to-be-imagined requests/complaints/suggestions.

Thanks again.