[Yum] Update on "Yum install fails on Solaris, reports success" thread

Joshua Burns joshuaburns at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 30 22:29:24 UTC 2009

Hi - my apologies for the premature send.

After building versions

1) 4.4.2.3 stock from dev site
2) 4.4.2.3-18 RHEL patches
3) 4.1.7 stock from dev site, and then finally
4) 5.1.9 from rpm5.org site

We appear to have a functional combination of RPM and YUM that is free of the "%pre, %post", etc. scriptlet failure problem. Numbers 1 through 3 all exhibited the bug, and in fact 2 exhibited the problem even using the rpm runtime on the command line.

rpm5 appears to handle dependencies differently, and we will apparently have to make a much more significant system dependencies package. Also, rpm -qa performance diminishes significantly when GPG keys are added to the RPM DB (I have posted a question about this to the RPM5 list).

Architecture detection and naming also differs in this version, and /etc/rpm/platforms had to be created for desired behavior.

We are still working towards a complete, polished solution but the major issues seem to be behind us (although the GPG performance is troublesome).

Just thought I'd post this for the benefit of any future Solaris users.

-j