[Yum] Plugin for yum to download packages in parts

Ashwini Dhiman ashwinidhiman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 05:23:37 UTC 2009

Hey Arpit,

I read your post in the yum mailing list and am replying you offlist
just for an informal talk.

Your idea of making yum download packages simultaneously and like
download managers is something that we tried implementing as our major
project in college. Take a look at the reports if you can get a hand
on them in the deptt library. We were not completely successful in
porting the code as a plugin as at that time yum was trying to get
ported to a new downloading library 'libcurl'. We had implemented it
using 'urlgrabber'. Our code was not perfect, just that it worked fine
for the purpose but needed to be optimized a lot.

If you think of going ahead with this project, we can probably guide
you in some direction where you can get off to some kind of a
headstart.

All the Best.

--
Ashwini Dhiman