[Yum] Plugin for yum to download packages in parts

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Sat Nov 14 22:49:38 UTC 2009

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:

> 2009/11/14 arpit Aggarwal <arpit07531 at gmail.com>:
>> Does yum download packages in parts(like download managers) or it simply
>> downloads packages in a single session??
>>
>> If yum downloads packages without splitting them into parts, then why not
>> develop a plugin for yum that will make yum download packages like a
>> download manager.
>>
>> Moreover it should be made such that yum may be able to download multiple
>> packages simultaneously and all packages in parts after dependencies has
>> been resolved.
>> This will greatly improve speed of installing and updating of packages.
>>
>> Is it feasible??
>
> Yes, it's just hard, because you have to rewrite so much of the
> downloader code. If done right, you could even create a swarm that
> could download the same package from 10 different mirrors.

you don't have to rewrite the downloader code. You could just do a
download plugin so that it intercepts the list of pkgs yum WOULD be
downloading, downloads them using the magical-swarm-downloading that you
describe and then when yum calls 'downloadPkgs()' it says 'oh, look at
that, I already have all these cached' and continues on.