[Yum] YUM install [package.rpm] fails on Solaris, reports success

Joshua Burns joshuaburns at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 13 16:38:54 UTC 2009

Thanks for the information and the suggestion. We are currently roughly 45% Linux, 45% Solaris, and 10% (probably less) AIX.

Solaris has been declared an end-of-life environment by the global OS architecture team. That means that within 3-5 years, we will probably be 95% Linux (RHEL), and 5% AIX. Bearing this in mind, YUM/RPM again seem like the obvious choice.

Maybe I misread things, but when researching this a lot of RPM/YUM proponents mentioned its cross-platform capability as a big selling point of the technology - and since I'm not hearing that it won't work, or I shouldn't do it [from the developers], I am going to at least try to get this issue resolved so that we can move forward.

I'd rather not be stuck with some [relatively] obscure or expensive product that doesn't really make sense in a 95% RHEL environment in a few years.