[Yum] YUM install [package.rpm] fails on Solaris, reports success

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 13 02:55:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, Joshua Burns wrote:

> For what it's worth, I, too, was chagrined at having to report a surprise issue this late in the game. Having gotten this
> far, I had assumed that if RPM could install a given package, YUM would also succeed.
>
> Any help you are able to give would of course be greatly appreciated. This is a particularly key moment (a fork in the
> road, if you will) in the history of the company's infrastructure, and the successful use of this technology could have
> major impact on the adoption of open-source technology over open-wallet technology.

okay - so normally when something works when you run it with rpm and
doesn't with yum it is environment variables or improper assumptions in
the scriptlets about paths, etc.

So maybe a good place to start is to dump the env you're running in when
you run rpm and then dump the environment inside python in yum .

anything odd going on with login shells vs /bin/sh for example?