[Yum] feedback wanted for two new yum-utils

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 10 17:56:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, James Antill wrote:

> Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> writes:
>
>> Last week doing some noodling around I wrote up a couple of new
>> yum-utils but I'd like some constructive feedback on them.
>>
>> first:
>> - shows what running programs should be restarted due to updates being
>> applied.
>>
>> http://skvidal.wordpress.com/2009/11/03/what-needs-to-be-restarted/
>
> This isn't terrible, but it needs a few tweaks before we put it in, IMO:
>
> 1. Tell people not running as root they will get wrong data.
>
> 2. Should check more than just smaps, one obvious problem is that
> python apps. only come up as python (probably the only thing to do is
> parse cmdline, and then check the first arg. to python).

or just report the full cmdline - which is what it does.

> 3. Another big problem is to do with shared libraries, atm. I have:
>
> james     3028  0.0  0.0 132156  3100 ?        S    Sep15   0:00 kerneloops-appl
>
> /proc/3028/smaps:... 112903 /usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1600.5 (deleted)
>
> ...which doesn't exist. The file /usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1600.6
> does exist, and was installed on the 8th of Nov.
> The "obvious" solution here is that anything with a (deleted) suffix
> automatically means it needs to be restarted. Of course there are also
> a bunch of things like:
>
> /proc/3028/smaps:... 112902 /usr/lib64/libatk-1.0.so.0.2511.1.#prelink#.egtvwq (deleted)
>
> ...which people may/may-not appreciate getting warnings about.

yep - and I marked a fixme/todo in the code about just that subject.

> 4. Might be nice to integrate history in the output.

history of what? The pkgs? Seems like if the user wants info afterward
they can use rpm --changelog and yum history to their content.

>> second:
>> a command-line pipes/parsing "friendly" yum-util.
>> http://skvidal.wordpress.com/2009/11/06/playing-with-another-yum-util/
>
> This one makes me twitch.

it makes me angry, too. You know what makes me more angry - reading
ridiculous comments about yum not producing machine-parseable output and
result codes and having cracktastic code like I saw in the spline perl
module.