[Yum] plugin rpm macro

James Antill james-yum at and.org
Wed May 20 04:24:08 UTC 2009

Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> writes:

> James Antill wrote:
>> Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> writes:
>>

>>> I thought disabling the whiteout plugin would allow it to work.  But
>>> no dice.  When I do an rpm --eval on the macro it shows it but it does
>>> not seem to use it.  yum update still shows the depsolving problem.
>>> This is with F11 rpm 4.7.0.
>>>

>>  If yum shows a depsolving problem, workarounds in rpm aren't going to
>> help because yum has it's own depsovler.
>
> Then how can this preupgrade whiteout plugin work?  All it does is
> push a list into the '_dependency_whiteout' macro in RPM.  Isn't that
> supposed to eliminate some of the depsolving problems in yum?

<obi-wan-kenobi>
*waves hand*
there are no depsolving problems in yum
</obi-wan-kenobi>

 Again, you probably want to speak to Will Woods about preupgrade, or
any of the anaconda maintainers, about what that plugin does and how
etc. I first looked at it an hour ago or so, to answer your question.
 A quick google search turns up:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/fedora-testing/msg81476.html

...which is a packaging problem only seen by the rpm depsolver (yum
doesn't have the data to see file conflicts).

 But from a yum developers point of view, if you are trying to work
around broken packaging data you are almost certainly on the wrong
path.

James Antill -- james at and.org