[Yum] why does yumdownloader grab i586 package on an x86_64 system?

James Antill james-yum at and.org
Thu May 14 17:14:24 UTC 2009

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> writes:

> On Wed, 13 May 2009, Seth Vidal wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 May 2009, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>> >  but that's not what i want.  i specifically used "yumdownloader"
>> > because i wanted all those downloaded packages placed in my
>> > current working directory.  i did *not* want them dumped into
>> > /var/cache/yum, i wanted to keep them carefully separated, partly
>> > because i wanted to see what the dependencies would be and have
>> > all the asterisk stuff and its dependencies in one place, although
>> > i'm guessing there's probably an option with the command you
>> > suggest where i could override the destination download cache
>> > directory, yes?
>>
>> look at repotrack in yum-utils.
>
>   ok, i'll do that, but i'm still curious as to where that requirement
> for that single i586 package came from on my x86_64 system.

 I tried to answer this before when I said
"yumdownloader != yum-plugin-downloadonly".

 yum will do "an install" and thus. do "dependencies" when you ask for
asterisk, it will follow multilib_policy etc.
 yumdownloader will just get everything it matches, --resolve will
then do a resolve on everything it matched.

>   to recap, i wanted to download everything asterisk-related and
> dependencies in a separate directory so i could poke at them and, if i
> wanted to, install them off-line knowing that i had all of the
> necessary dependencies.  so i ran:
>
>   $ yumdownloader --resolve "asterisk*"

 And that's what it did.

> wouldn't that make more sense?  and i'm still confused as to what is
> forcing the download of that single i586 asterisk-devel package.

 You asked for all of them and you got all of them, asterisk-devel
isn't special. Run:

yum list asterisk\*.i?86

James Antill -- james at and.org