[Yum] yum: F9 => F10 in-place upgrade

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Tue Mar 31 14:47:05 UTC 2009

Gerry Reno wrote:
>> David Timms wrote:
>>> Probably a good question for fedora-list at redhat.com, however:
>>> 1. Do you know about preupgrade ?
>>> It pre-downloads all the metadata, rpms, boot images etc while you
>>> continue to use Fedora, then when you are ready, you reboot into the
>>> installer, confirm installation and before too long, you have F10
>>> going.
>>> And is one of the supported upgrade methods (the other being upgrade
>>> via the dvd disk itself).
>>>
>>> 2. The Fedora wiki covers inplace live upgrades, and has some hints
>>> and tips:
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum/YumUpgradeFaq
>>>
>> Thanks David. Yes, we know about preupgrade. What we have is a
>> machine that was just upgraded to F9 that will not respond to
>> keyboard and mouse and therefore we cannot use GUI tools. So we were
>> just going to move it up to F10 using the old in-place upgrade method
>> that we'd used for a long time. We can do this by remote login of
>> course. But for whatever reason we cannot get the upgrade to work. I
>> think it might have something to do with the transition files that
>> were necessary because of key issues with F9.
>>
> I just found that preupgrade has a cli version. So I force installed
> the old F9 release files and we'll see how this works. But I think the
> old in-place method needs to be working as well.

Well, good new and bad news. Good news is that preupgrade-cli worked and
we got F10 to load. The bad news is that we get the dreaded GRUB prompt
on reboot. And worse, in qemu-kvm it is refusing to boot from CDROM
drive which apparently has been an ongoing problem so now we have no way
to recover. Jeez, I wish some of this stuff was a little more tested
before just throwing it out there. </grouse>

Regards,
Gerry