[Yum] yum: F9 => F10 in-place upgrade

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Tue Mar 31 13:00:56 UTC 2009

David Timms wrote:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
>> I've been trying to do an in-place upgrade from F9 to F10. I
>> downloaded and installed the Fedora 10 fedora-release rpms. And made
>> sure the F9 versions were removed. But when I run 'yum upgrade' it
>> say "No packages". Is there something else now we have to do?
> Probably a good question for fedora-list at redhat.com, however:
> 1. Do you know about preupgrade ?
> It pre-downloads all the metadata, rpms, boot images etc while you
> continue to use Fedora, then when you are ready, you reboot into the
> installer, confirm installation and before too long, you have F10 going.
> And is one of the supported upgrade methods (the other being upgrade
> via the dvd disk itself).
>
> 2. The Fedora wiki covers inplace live upgrades, and has some hints
> and tips:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum/YumUpgradeFaq

Thanks David. Yes, we know about preupgrade. What we have is a machine
that was just upgraded to F9 that will not respond to keyboard and mouse
and therefore we cannot use GUI tools. So we were just going to move it
up to F10 using the old in-place upgrade method that we'd used for a
long time. We can do this by remote login of course. But for whatever
reason we cannot get the upgrade to work. I think it might have
something to do with the transition files that were necessary because of
key issues with F9.

Regards,
Gerry