[Yum] preupgrade locked up, we rebooted, ran preupgrade again and it succeeded but many dup pkgs now in rpmdb

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Tue Mar 24 22:45:13 UTC 2009

We ran preupgrade (F9=>F10) on one machine and it locked up about 80%
through the anaconda package install.  So we rebooted the machine and it
came back up, we logged in and ran preupgrade again and this time it
succeeded.  But now we notice there are a huge number of packages in the
rpmdb from the old release.  How can we clear these out of this machine?

Regards,
Gerry