[Yum] Can yum show a listing of just the locally installed packages?

Nifty nifty.hat Mitch nifty.hat at niftyegg.com
Tue Mar 24 00:46:14 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 07:17:53PM -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
>    Nifty nifty.hat Mitch wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 04:26:19PM -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
>

> Seth Vidal wrote:
>

> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Gerry Reno wrote:
>

> Yeah, I was afraid that was the case. I'd tried about everything in
> the man page.
>
> Suggestion: What would be great from the standpoint of yum metadata
> is if we could query yum and have it tell us what repository
> delivered each package. Something like:
>
> # yum list installed

> yum-versionlock.noarch 1.1.11-1.fc7 installed local
>

> As of this time there is no place to store the information of where a
> package came from.
>

> We need such metadata in yum though. Maybe this 'place' could be added
> in the newer versions?
>

>  Gerry
>
> How important is this?
>
> If you run "rpm -qia| less " you will see a lot in the 'Packager',
> 'Signature' and 'Build Host' fields that can let you infer much about
> where a package came from.  It does not tell you what repo (think mirror
> site) it was pulled from.  It does not tell you if it came from 'test' and
> never was moved to 'released' unless it was resigned.  At some sites that
> collect packages into a local repo it could be difficult to know if the
> package was site tested and site approved and such unless it was resigned.
>
> It can sort out some largish piles that might be interesting.
>

>    I think it's very important.  I want to know where the packages
>    originated.  What repo, or were they locally installed.  Yum has access
>    to all this metadata and yet it's never stored.  Yes, you can pull some
>    info from rpm -q but it's not always obvious from [1]joe at gmail.com what
>    repo delivered the package.  Yum has the information, it just needs to
>    store it so we can use it.  As I said in a prior posting, yum should
>    show us the repo in the listings.  That way if we have a package by the
>    same name in two different repos I know which repo our package came
>    from.
>    Regards,
>    Gerry

I think you could look at adding a log function to the download code
(wget equivalent....urlgrabber?) since it may prove impossible to disambiguate
a mirror issue from a repo issue.  Each download and it resulting file
need to be matched.....  I do not think that this is a 'yum' or even
an 'rpm' issue because the repro/ mirror is outside of the package
process.  It might be addressable with a 'log_download_verbosely' hook.

There may be a debugging hook to this end but I did not find it in a 5 min look.
Perhaps the environment variable "URLGRABBER_DEBUG=level,filename"....

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?