[Yum] Can yum show a listing of just the locally installed packages?

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Mon Mar 23 23:17:53 UTC 2009

Nifty nifty.hat Mitch wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 04:26:19PM -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
>
>> Seth Vidal wrote:

>>> As of this time there is no place to store the information of where a
>>> package came from.
>>>

>> We need such metadata in yum though. Maybe this 'place' could be added
>> in the newer versions?
>>

>  Gerry
>
> How important is this?
>
> If you run "rpm -qia| less " you will see a lot in the 'Packager',
> 'Signature' and 'Build Host' fields that can let you infer much about
> where a package came from.  It does not tell you what repo (think mirror
> site) it was pulled from.  It does not tell you if it came from 'test' and
> never was moved to 'released' unless it was resigned.  At some sites that
> collect packages into a local repo it could be difficult to know if the
> package was site tested and site approved and such unless it was resigned.
>
> It can sort out some largish piles that might be interesting.

I think it's very important. I want to know where the packages
originated. What repo, or were they locally installed. Yum has access to
all this metadata and yet it's never stored. Yes, you can pull some info
from rpm -q but it's not always obvious from joe at gmail.com what repo
delivered the package. Yum has the information, it just needs to store
it so we can use it. As I said in a prior posting, yum should show us
the repo in the listings. That way if we have a package by the same name
in two different repos I know which repo our package came from.

Regards,
Gerry