[Yum] Can yum show a listing of just the locally installed packages?

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 19 20:30:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Gerry Reno wrote:

> Seth Vidal wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Gerry Reno wrote:
>>> Yeah, I was afraid that was the case. I'd tried about everything in the
>>> man page.
>>>
>>> Suggestion: What would be great from the standpoint of yum metadata is if
>>> we could query yum and have it tell us what repository delivered each
>>> package. Something like:
>>>
>>> # yum list installed
>>> * fedora: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
>>> * updates: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
>>> fedora 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
>>> updates 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
>>> Installed Packages
>>> yum.noarch 3.2.8-2.fc7 installed fedora
>>> yum-fastestmirror.noarch 1.1.11-1.fc7 installed fedora-updates
>>> yum-metadata-parser.i386 1.1.0-2.fc7 installed fedora-updates
>>> yum-updatesd.noarch 3.2.8-2.fc7 installed fedora-updates
>>> yum-versionlock.noarch 1.1.11-1.fc7 installed local
>>>

>> As of this time there is no place to store the information of where a
>> package came from.
>>
>> -sv
>>
> We need such metadata in yum though. Maybe this 'place' could be added in the
> newer versions?

It is, in fact, on the feature list. We got a considerable amount of
pushback the first time I implemented it b/c a lot of people thought the
data should be in the rpmdb, not in a separate yum db. Various folks have
given up since then and decided we can put it in a yum 'db' of some kind
and query it from yum.