[Yum] yum simultaneous download of packages

James Antill james-yum at and.org
Sun Mar 8 19:49:50 UTC 2009

pranjal pandit <pranjal5215 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> i am working on downloading two packages simultaneously from different
> mirrors and i want some information regarding the same.

 Why are you limiting to different mirrors?

> 1)I want to know whether the downloadPkgs() function is the main
> function responsible for downloading of packages,

 Yes.

> also,
> 2)what all things currently run in parallel with packages getting
> downloaded (downloadPkgs() function)

 Nothing, yum is unlikely to ever be multi-threaded. And is currently
not multi-tasking or doing downloads via. a poll/epoll like backend.

> 3)What all things are done in downloadPkgs() function itself.

 Whatever the code says :)
 Mostly it's all to do with UI around a simple:

for pkg in packages_that_need_to_be_downloaded:
   pkg.download().

James Antill -- james at and.org