[Yum] Error: cannot import name RpmUtilsError after last RHEL 5.x upgrade

James Antill james-yum at and.org
Thu Mar 5 23:38:00 UTC 2009

"Esteban B." <shakauy at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> This is the problem - After lastest upgrade from RHEL 5.2 to RHEL 5.3 i'm
> not able to use Yum anymore, this is what I got:
>
> [root at server.myserver.com:~]*yum check-update*
> There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
> required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
>
> *   cannot import name RpmUtilsError*
>
> Please install a package which provides this module, or
> verify that the module is installed correctly.
>
> It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
> current version of Python, which is:
> 2.4.3 (#1, Sep 17 2008, 16:04:01)
> [GCC 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-41)]
>
> If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
> the yum faq at:
>   http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq
>

> Tried loading the module manually from python, and seems to be the same:
>
> [root at server.myserver.com:~]python
> Python 2.4.3 (#1, Sep 17 2008, 16:04:01)
> [GCC 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-41)] on linux2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named RpmUtilsError
>>>>
> [root at server.myserver.com:~]

 The line that's failing will be this one:

from rpmUtils import RpmUtilsError

...so you could see if/who that also fails from python. But this
implies that the install of yum itself is broken. You can try:

 rpm -q yum
 rpm -V yum
 rpm -Va --nofiles --nomd5

...or just force a reinstall of the yum package with rpm and see if
that helps (at which point you can run package-cleanup and
yum-complete-transaction etc. to see if they find anything).

James Antill -- james at and.org