[Yum] yum mirror problem

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 16 22:06:13 UTC 2009

On 17/06/09 05:55, Arkadiy Vertleyb wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am very new to yum, and I needed it to download a fglrx driver for
> my new monitor (I have redhat 4).  After I installed yum on my
> machine, /etc/yum.conf refers to mirror.dulug.duke.edu, and this
> server seems to be dead -- I can't even ping it.
>
> How do I find an operational mirror that contains the package I need?
Look on the web site of the distribution. You might not have access to
updates unless you have the machine subscription

However, there may be information on the CentOS rebuild at the CentOS site.

yum also looks at the /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo files in case your
distribution looks there.
A mirrorlist entry provides a way for yum (modern) to choose between
multiple mirrors, failing over when any one mirror is unavailable.

Cheers,
DaveT.