[Yum] installing a package a *second* time with a relative root?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jun 15 19:59:12 UTC 2009

  i've never tried this before so i thought i'd ask before i totally
screwed things up.  i want to update a tutorial i wrote about how to
build your first kernel module, and part of that requires building the
module against the relevant parts of a kernel source tree.

  in fedora, that would be kernel-devel, but that package normally
installs under /usr/src and i wanted to explain how to at least
*build* the module without needing root permission.  (of course,
they'd need root to *load* the module but ignore that for now.)

  i already have kernel-devel installed *normally* on my system.  is
there any way a regular user could install the same directory
structure under their home directory, then pass that directory name to
the module compile step?

  of course, one could always just extract the rpm contents with
rpm2cpio, which wouldn't affect the current yum database.  I'm
starting to think that's the easiest thing to do here, but i'm willing
to be educated.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday