[Yum] "rollback" yum update

James Antill james-yum at and.org
Fri Jan 23 22:35:27 UTC 2009

Amos Shapira <amos.shapira at gmail.com> writes:

> 2009/1/24 James Williams <jwilliams1010 at hotmail.com>
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>>   How do you "rollback" a yum update?  If for some reason yum update packagename causes a problem
>> is there a yum way to resotre back to the previous version?
>>
>>   Or is the only way to remove the package and then download the original rpm and install it.
>>
>>   Is there a better way?

 There is no rollback, we are planning on some form of functional
"downgrade" in the near future. However the bigger than gets the less
likely it will be to be happy (for CentOS-5.3 => CentOS-5.2 is
very likely to not do what you want).

> I'm no expert and would love to hear a better way but the way I plan
> to do this if/when I need to is to keep a nightly list of versions of
> packages then restore to them if something gets screwed up.
>
> This is where I miss having "package x replaced <old ver> by <new
> ver>" in the log, as dpkg/apt/aptitude does on debian.

 There is a /var/log/yum.log ... but it doesn't say the above on one
line, but then rpms don't work quite the same way debs do.

> A similar situation is copying of entire list of versioned packages
> from one host to another, for which I accumulated the following
> instructions:
> To generate list of current packages including version and release:
>
> rpm -qa --queryformat="%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n" | sort > file

 yum-debug-dump

> This produces the list in format suitable for yum:
>
> yum install $(< file)

 yum-debug-restore | yum shell (note not in yum-utils, yet, buyer
beware).

James Antill -- james at and.org