[Yum] How to get Yum back...

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 1 13:04:21 UTC 2009

DB wrote:
>> I just did the latest batch of F9 PackageKit updates - with disastrous
>> effect!  (See attached list)
What exactly did you do ? command line or gui ?
Add remove programs or update system ?

>> - especially yum and/or PackageKit?
wget
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/9/i386.newkey/yum-3.2.20-5.fc9.noarch.rpm
wget
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/9/i386.newkey/yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-9.fc9.i386.rpm
wget
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/9/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/pygpgme-0.1-8.fc9.i386.rpm

rpm -Uvh *fc9*.rpm

if further requirements are missing download them also from similar to
the above urls.

Once yum is working, it can do dependency resolution and downloading
again, so just yum install [list of each package that got deleted]

>> I did look at trying a 'rescue' or 'install/upgrade' from the install
>> CD, but I'm totally unsure how to go about getting the "missing links"
>> back into my system.
- boot CD/DVD
- Escape as the boot countdown is running.
- append rescue to the kernel command
- yes, yes, yes. (you want networking, mount your system)
- this gets you to a state where your original system is mounted under:
/mnt/sysimage/
- make some network settings (if not auto set).
- yum --installroot=/mnt/sysimage install yum

[without having such a dead system here to confirm exactly].

>> Dec 20 17:56:47 localhost yum: Updated: freetype-2.3.5-7.fc9.i386
>> Dec 20 17:56:48 localhost yum: Updated: 1:dbus-libs-1.2.4-2.fc9.i386
>> Dec 20 17:56:53 localhost yum: Updated: 1:dbus-1.2.4-2.fc9.i386
>> Dec 20 18:01:21 localhost yum: Erased: dirmngr
>> Dec 20 18:01:23 localhost yum: Erased: pygpgme
Was this the complete set of transactions that occurred on this day ?
If you didn't fu, then something is seriously amiss here.

> way out the helpful people on Fedora could suggest was a reinstall of
> Fed 9 (which seems to have worked).
Nasty.

> a) would it be possible to make a "Yum Live CD" to use in cases where
> yum/packagekit & co have disappeared?
The rescue CD already has that.

> b) is it possible to use the original install CD to get yum back?
Yes.

> c) how is it possible for a user to build a dependency list to be able
> to feed rpm when all else has failed???
- go to friends computer, ask on a list...
- type yum remove some files in your list.
- no, don't do it
- note all the packages that it wants to remove.
- download each from either the current version from either releases or
updates-newkey.
- rpm -Uvh the lot of them.

DaveT.