[Yum] Initializing a new chroot with yum

Felix Schwarz felix.schwarz at web.de
Mon Feb 23 21:05:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

I try to install some packages completely separated from my normal rpmdb/yum
setup (just install them in a separate root directory). Ideally this should be
possible without being root.

So I initialized a new rpmdb using 'rpm --initdb --root /home/fs/bar'. Then I
put a yum.conf in the bar directory, pointing to a separate yum.repos.d (using
the 'reposdir' directive).

I hoped that
   'yum --installroot=/home/fs/bar -c yum.conf install <pkg>'
would actually install a package locally but yum only says:
'Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
foobar. Please verify its path and try again'.

When I add a new repository config to fedora, yum will automatically download
repomd.xml from the server. So what am I doing wrong?

fs

PS: It looks to me that yum checks that the user has uid 0 for some commands.
I did not found a way to disable this check. Did I overlook something?